Sketchy ("handdrawn") UI kit

In my line of work it's often useful to draw some early-stage UI mockups to illustrate some idea. At the same time, I'm not a UI/UX designer, don't want to be one, and even less want to have consumers of my rough sketches to expect anything more than draft quality from my work.

To make that explicit, I'm using handdrawn-style UI template libraries (namely: "Sketchy" stencil set in Evolus Pencil); the quality of the result they product is really terrible (wavy contour lines, a bit misaligned text rendered in Comic Sans, very basic colors) — which both helps me to focus the people I'm talking to on the actual idea behind my sketch, and to convey the fact that I don't take my work too seriously, and neither should they.

(Before I started doing so, I once had been asked "oh, I see you're almost done, when I can see this in production?" about a first early draft of a rather questionable interaction proposal. It took me a while explaining that no, we haven't even started any frontend work yet.)

I can imagine some "low-quality first draft" UI kit to be useful to many more people at the early phases of their ideation, brainstorming, drafting or research.

Comments