Ctrl+Alt+Drag Main Component to create a new Instance of it

Normally Alt+Drag will duplicate a Layer. This is great, especially when creating multiple Main Components that are similar. However, when I am creating a series of *nested* Main Components (each Main contains an Instance of the previous Main) the workflow suddenly becomes annoying due to needless navigation friction. The component I want to nest is right in front of me, and yet my only option is to switch to the Components panel, navigate to the same component I'm staring at, and drag it into the drawing area.

It would be great if Ctrl+Alt+Drag created an instance. It would save a lot of steps and flow-disruption.

If there are reasons not to overload the Ctrl-Alt, then instead an item could be added to the right-click context menu of the main component: "Insert Component Instance".

Right-clicking the main component > "Insert Component Instance", would initiate the same operation as clicking the component from the panel, but without the need to switch and navigate to it, and no disruption of user flow.

Tagged:

Comments